Plant Operator Courses
Are you a big kid at heart? Who loved their trucks, diggers and anything with an engine? Then our plant operator training courses in Melbourne are for you!
This course includes a whole range of big boy toys including excavators, backhoes, rollers, power tools and lots more! Yes there is some theory but its all applied in a very practical, hands on way so you can expect lots of opportunity to get real work experience.
Prerequisites/RTO Entry Requirements:
There are no formal prerequisites, however participants must be able to converse and comprehend basic English. Participants will complete language, numeracy and literacy assessment on course commencement to assess their capacity to meet language requirements. Participants will also need to have the physical capacity to undertake the practical components of this course.
Units of Competency:
This plant operator training course requires satisfactory completion of 19 units of competency including:
- RIIBEF201D – Plan and organise work
- RIICCM201D – Carry out measurements and calculations
- RIICCM202D – Identify, locate and protect underground services
- RIICCM203D – Read and interpret plans and specifications
- RIICCM205E – Carry out manual excavation
- RIICCM206D – Support plant operations
- RIICCM207D – Spread and compact materials manually
- RIICCM208D – Carry out basic levelling
- RIICOM201D – Communicate in the workplace
- RIIWHS201D – Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
- RIISAM201D – Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of non-toxic materials
- RIISAM203D – Use hand and power tools
- RIISAM204D – Operate small plant and equipment
- RIIWMG203D – Drain and dewater civil construction site
- RIIMPO318E – Conduct civil construction skid steer loader operations
- RIIMPO319D – Conduct backhoe/loader operations
- RIIMPO320E – Conduct civil construction excavator operations
- RIIMPO321E – Conduct civil construction wheeled front end loader operations
- RIIMPO317E – Conduct roller operations or
- RIIMPO323D – Conduct civil construction dozer operations or
- RIIMPO326D – Conduct civil construction water cart operations
Elective Option: Students can choose one of the following units to complete also. Please note that our Rowville campus only has a roller available.
The formal duration of this plant operators course in Melbourne is 21 weeks, however, students have a maximum 12 month period to complete course assessment requirements.
- This course is run at our Rowville training facility. Attendance is required 4 days per week, Monday to Thursday 9am-4.30pm.
- Each Friday is available for individual study, on-site practical skill development and/or 1-on-1 assistance with a qualified trainer and assessor.
- The course is facilitated by a member of our highly experienced training team, and includes trainer presentations, small group work and lots of practical activities – so your participation will be required!
A range of assessment methods are used to monitor student progress and assess competence. Knowledge checks and practical skill demonstrations are used across all units, some units also require written activities to be completed. Throughout the course trainers are available to assist and support students in their learning journey and in the completion of assessment requirements.
After achieving RII30815 graduates may undertake a range of courses including RII40613 Certificate IV in Civil Constuction Operations.
Graduates can seek to gain work as a plant operator, civil labourer, site supervisor and other job roles within the civil construction industry.
Indicative Fee Schedule:
The training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for government subsidised training. We can cater to your facilities in Melbourne, Bayswater, Dandenong, Frankston, Cranbourne and Narre Warren